Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday is for religion!


Why is it that Christians (and they're not alone in believing that they alone, unconditionally, have all the right answers) find the need to preach "the truth" to those ignorant sinners?

It's Sunday morning. I had a great night with a few friends last night.  Yet the combination of drinking and a four hour sleep left me less than bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Oddly enough however, Ii found myself wide awake, lucid and in deep thought -- until I boarded the L train. I had just stepped on at the Williamsburg (Brooklyn) stop en route to Manhattan. Suddenly a group of four 20-somethings felt the need to tag-team  preach the Gospel the entire ride.

While I can appreciate that their efforts were (very likely) pure of heart and intention, why should I be subjected to someone professing their religious beliefs at yelling dispels on an early Sunday morning?  After all, I don't preach my beliefs -- as absurd as some might find them.

Yes folks, I did refer to Christianity as a belief.  Its not fact, its not truth. This is why its referred to as"religious belief"  or "faith. The gospel is not the "word" of God, its a collection of stories and ideas, written by men, for men, to bring order to the masses. At best, its man's interpretation of what they "believe" God intended.  But the word of God?  Come on, why do you think the King James bible has his name attached to it?  How many of the scrolls were never included in the original collection? And one and on.  

Still, no matter whether you like the church or not, you have to be impressed by their salesmanship -- and every religion has scored well in this regard:  they've all taken their respective stories  -- the Word of God -- and converted them into the greatest product any salesmen could every dream up -- eternal bliss.  Its perfect; it can neither be proved or disproved, and its buyers will only know if they got the real deal or a placebo after they've already paid for it in full with a lifetime of guilt, subjugated loyalty and obedience -- and money; of course, like George Carlin had pointed out many times "God always seems to need more money!"

While I support everyone's right to believe whatever rings true to them, I couldn't help but notice the contradiction of my train preachers who stated "God is a personal thing," as they pounded away the concept very publicly. Believe what you want folks, live how you want, but stop trying to drag me into your constructed view of existence.

I don't want to be there. I didn't ask to be saved, and don't think I need to be. I'd rather experience every minute of the life I'm living than worry everyday about the one that will follow; interact and share experiences with people, places, cultures and self, than preach or be preached to. I'll know soon enough what death has to offer, and simply don't buy what you're selling -- that there is some old, white-haired father figure up there ready to spank us if we don't accept the story you're telling us he/she supposedly dictated.

And since these youngin's saw fit to yell me out of my quiet meditation this morning, let me add that can't help but wonder if they feel illuminated because they trying to help me, or simply enjoy hearing themselves preach, with some dilution that they're doing "God's work." God created everything; God hardly needs your help infusing God ideas into each and everyone.

Here is an alternative thought, go do real work. Then in your spare time indulge in your faith. Explore your religious beliefs, research others religious beliefs, then believe what you like -- but also, don't allow any faith to allow you to sidestep responsibility for the choices you make.  It takes courage to say this is my life, I made this decision, and be responsible for it.  Don't use religion as a crutch, or becomes as silly ass Flip Wilson -- as Geraldine Jones -- repeating his gag line "the devil made me do."

My belief is that God simply experiences human existence vicariously through us, without partiality.

If you're going to be religious, treat your religion as something sacred between you a God, rather than as a party-line to fill you with self-importance. in the words of Lao Tzu, If you believe your religion, then live it, rather than trying to convert people or convincing them that you're right.




No comments:

Post a Comment